Image Map

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Easy Peasy Whole Brain Scoreboard & Rewards {Freebie}

This is year 2 of my attempt at Whole Brain Teaching. After watching a few Whole Brain videos last summer I was hooked and knew I wanted to try it. Last year I took the plunge and learned a lot as I went. This year I know more but am still learning.

One key part of Whole Brain Teaching is the Scoreboard. Students earn "happy" and "sad" points as a whole class. I call them "Oh Yeah" and "Oh No" points and the kids say oh yeah or oh no when I make a mark. The rule of thumb (that is AMAZING) is to keep the score within +/- 3 points. That way the kiddos aren't winning too easily or losing too much.

To match my new green/blue chevron theme this year I made my own scoreboard. I made a few colors that you can grab here as a freebie.


I laminated my scoreboard so that I can use a dry erase marker on it every day. It hangs with magnets on the chalkboard behind my chair at our meeting area. I find that it's extremely useful when I'm teaching on the carpet (which I do a lot of) and it's not hard to walk over and mark points on when my kiddos are at their desks.

At the end of the day if there are more "Oh Yeah" points the kiddos get a prize. Last year I started with some small prizes and then had the kiddos earn one extra minute of recess for every day they "won". Once they reached 15 minutes we would use them.

This year I decided I really wanted to emphasize the small rewards to start with to really get them motivated and hooked. Through some searching and brainstorming (and looking at what I have in my classroom) I came up with some fun rewards that are very simple. It's key that they are easy, don't cost anything to me, and don't take up a lot of time.

This is such a simple one. I grab one of my coveted Scento Markers and give each student a "smelly circle" on their hand. 

I put my easy button on a desk next to my door and each student gets to push it as they leave for the day. They loved this one!

Turn up the music and dance! I play some fun music (Kidz Bop on Pandora) and let them air guitar and dance their hearts out for a minute.

Simple yet my second graders still like it. 

We use Brain Pop Jr all the time in our classroom. It's so educational and fun! The kids start humming along when they hear the intro music. Since they love it so much I figured, hey why not make it a reward? I let one student pick a favorite video and we all watch on the ipad.

I haven't tried this one yet but I'm pretty sure my kiddos would enjoy it. :)

What simple rewards do you use in your classroom? I'd love to hear in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the freebie! I'm trying WBT for the first time this year so this will help. Love your reward ideas! I'm going to have to find me some of those markers.

    Swimming into Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,

    Thanks for the great ideas. I'm also a newbie to WBT and excited to give it a try! These rewards are perfect!

    Thanks!
    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these rewards! I am wanting to make more for my class, but don't have the font that you used. What is the name of the font? Thanks for sharing your rewards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I found your post! How about No Shoes for a subject, gel pens, pillow for Read to self, or gum on the way out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the smelly circle and sitting on top of desks rewards! Great idea! This wouldn't work for a whole class, but as an individual reward I've let students sit in my swivel chair! I once had a student who liked using Type to Learn as a reward.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some other "free" rewards I use are: sit by a friend for a day, sit in teacher's chair (rocking chair I sit in during any time on the carpet), job swap, and line jumper. Kids (3rd grade) love all of these. Their favorite, though, is lunch with the teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some other "free" rewards I use are: sit by a friend for a day, sit in teacher's chair (rocking chair I sit in during any time on the carpet), job swap, and line jumper. Kids (3rd grade) love all of these. Their favorite, though, is lunch with the teacher!

    ReplyDelete